I was born and raised in Orange County, California and attended California State University Long Beach where I developed my interest in art and design. In 1993 I relocated to Scotland and continued my advanced studies at Napier University and Edinburgh College of Art where I explored a range of techniques and applications including life drawing, lithography, etching, screen printing and photopolymer etching.
I spent three years in Shanghai, and while there I discovered my passion for painting working alongside Hong Kong based artist and gallery owner, Beulah van Rensburg.
The medium I employ within my work is led by the visual impact I want to achieve. Acrylics are used for larger pieces when I want to work quickly and loosely, applying bold and deliberate marks. On smaller works, I use oils for a more considered and detailed approach to mark making and layers.
I play the ordered, graphic lines and organic marks against each other to create visual contrast. The more instinctive marks I make evoke a sense of spontaneity layered with measured structure.
My work provides a visual timeline that reflects my search to discover my artistic voice. I’m constantly working towards creating paintings that are an honest reflection of who I am and what I want to say. I’m constantly exploring ways of breaking through my limiting assumptions. Being true to my creative self is my ambition and what I create along this intimate exploration is shared with my viewers.
Selected Awards & Exhibitions, by Krissy Stewart:
- 2001 Edinburgh College of Art – Degree Show
- 2001 Ann Henderson Award
- 2006 Edinburgh Printmakers Union
- 2011 Minhang District – Arts Collective
(Shanghai) – Annual Exhibition
- 2014 Solo Exhibition – Eastgate Theatre
- 2016 (May) RGI Gallery, Glasgow/Vital Art Exhibition
Scottish Society of Architect Artists
- 2016 (August) Scottish Arts Club
Members’ Collaborative Exhibition
- 2016 (September) Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum Scottish Society
- 2017 (summer) National Open Art Awards (shortlisted)
- 2017 (November) Artist’s Exhibition – Lauder
Flat Cat Gallery
- 2017 (November) Members’ Winter Exhibition
Scottish Arts Club
- 2017 (November) Winter Exhibition
EDS Gallery, Edinburgh
- 2018 (November) Whitespace Gallery, Edinburgh